Andrew has had a difficult week. He was a little bit sick with a fever for a couple of days and now has a cold. He has been crying a fair amount and he has been continually testing limits as well. Its hard to know what part of it is physical and what part of it is emotional. We pray that he transitions well. He hasn't made new friends (yet) in the way that Abby has. There is one other 4 year old boy on campus (in addition to three 4 year old girls) who will arrive on Tuesday, so we have yet to meet him. There is only one 5 year old boy (in addition to about seven 5 year old girls) on campus and he just showed up on our doorstep. I heard a faint knock. When I opened the door, he said, "Hi!" To which I replied, "Hi, Landon." Then he said in the sweetest voice, "Hi. (again) I came to play with Andrew." (Something to make a mommy's heart melt.) Landon and Andrew are happily playing legos as I write. Their conversations are so cute - they're being very interactive. It will be good for him to have a buddy. Landon will start half day Kindergarten this week; and next week Andrew will begin cooperative pre-school which will likely meet 2 mornings/week and maybe 3 mornings/week. The 5 moms of preschoolers will take turns teaching. We will use an empty elementary classroom for the pre-school. We will all gather on Wednesday to set up the room and to establish the teaching schedule. When I told Andrew that he'd be going to school, he was thrilled. He has grown accustomed to people asking him (in Durham): "What's your name? How old are you? Where do you go to school?" To which he replies: Andrew. 4. I do homeschool. :)
As I mentioned above, Abby has made several good friends already which has really helped her transition happily to life here in Kijabe. The first week, she had several cries over missing home (particularly her friends). This past week, Abby has barely been home, and when she is home, she usually has a friend with her. These friendships have greatly helped her adjust to being here. She has met her two first grade teachers (one in mornings - Mrs. Kinsor; and one in afternoons - Mr. Myrick) who both seem like they will be wonderful! She is excited to start school tomorrow. Though we have new things to navigate: walking to/from school and the lunch hour. Kids have one hour free at lunchtime. They can eat in the cafo, eat on the playground, go home, or go to a friends' house. I'm not sure what to pack yet - assuming she'll want to stay to eat and play at the playground. Where are my handy dandy applesauce cups? Bagels and cream cheese? Something tells me PB&J might get old fast.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment